As I mentioned in my post earlier this week, we made fried green tomatoes after I picked some up at the Farmer’s Market. They are one of my favorite things to order at a restaurant so I figured why not try them myself? Here’s what I did:
– 2 green tomatoes
– 1 egg
– 1/2 cup buttermilk
– 1/2 cup flour
– 1/2 cup cornmeal
1. Slice 2 green tomatoes into 1/3 inch slices.
2. Set out 3 bowls. In the first one put 1/4 cup of flour. In the second put 1 egg and 1/2 cup of buttermilk. In the third combine 1/4 cup of flour, 1/2 cup cornmeal and a teaspoon of salt. (sorry the bowls are out of order in the picture above!)
3. Dip each tomato slice in each bowl in order, first the flour, then the egg mixture and finally the cornmeal.
4. Pour oil in a skillet and heat at medium-high.
5. Drop each tomato in the oil and cook for 2 minutes on each side. Put on a plate lined with paper towels.
We whipped up a quick sauce made with mayo, hot sauce and relish :) Enjoy!
This weekend was really great. Mostly because it was filled with sun, water and really good food, a few of my most favorite things. We’ve been on what seems like an endless hunt for a new house (wish us luck) so between the stress I’m trying to squeeze in as much good stuff as I can. Thankfully, I have just one day of work this week, followed by a couple days to just relax and get stuff done around the house and then we are off to New York City for the 4th of July! I could definitely use the vacation :)
Friday night we met up with my parents to watch the sunset at the beach with some sandwiches and some wine (well a lot of wine).
Saturday we went to the Farmer’s Market where they had a Shrimp and Lobster Festival going on as well. We got there early and it was pouring but after hiding out for a while under a produce stand it was sunny skies! We picked up some veggies, scored some free fresh pasta and enjoyed a lunch of crab cakes and lobster rolls. (Also, has anyone had lychees before? I picked some up but haven’t tried them yet!)
The rest of the day involved house hunting and movie watching but I did see my first Sarasota peacock while we were out and about! And he was nice enough to show me his feathers :)
Sunday, we spent a delightful morning fishing and reading on the boat. We caught a lot, but they were apparently small undesirable fish for keeping (I don’t really care I just get excited when I catch something!) We then made fried green tomatoes for the first time (recipe coming soon!) from the tomatoes I picked up at the Farmer’s Market and grilled some steak and corn while I caught up on my blogging!
How was your weekend?