As I mentioned in my post earlier this week, we made fried green tomatoes after I picked some up at the Farmer’s Market. They are one of my favorite things to order at a restaurant so I figured why not try them myself? Here’s what I did:
– 2 green tomatoes
– 1 egg
– 1/2 cup buttermilk
– 1/2 cup flour
– 1/2 cup cornmeal
1. Slice 2 green tomatoes into 1/3 inch slices.
2. Set out 3 bowls. In the first one put 1/4 cup of flour. In the second put 1 egg and 1/2 cup of buttermilk. In the third combine 1/4 cup of flour, 1/2 cup cornmeal and a teaspoon of salt. (sorry the bowls are out of order in the picture above!)
3. Dip each tomato slice in each bowl in order, first the flour, then the egg mixture and finally the cornmeal.
4. Pour oil in a skillet and heat at medium-high.
5. Drop each tomato in the oil and cook for 2 minutes on each side. Put on a plate lined with paper towels.
We whipped up a quick sauce made with mayo, hot sauce and relish :) Enjoy!