Many people now have the option of working from home, at least every once in a while. I work from home one day a week and it usually ends up being my most productive day. But I also know how it feels when the couch and netflix are calling your name. Sometimes it’s hard to stay focused, even more so when all the comforts of home are right at your fingertips. Here are some tips:
1. Get ready for the day: It’s hard not to stay in your pajamas with your hair a mess when you’re at home, but I find I’m significantly more productive if I do something to get ready in the morning. This doesn’t necessarily mean you have to do your hair and put on a pencil skirt. My getting ready usually consists of changing out of my pjs into something equally as comfy (like yoga pants or a t-shirt dress), putting my hair up and throwing on some mascara.
2. Have a designated work area: For most of the day I stick to the dining room table when working. It’s always clear of clutter, right by the window, and has a jar of fresh flowers on it. I originally was working in our home office but realized the dark room that’s away from the rest of the house just made me want to get out of there. Create a work area clear of distractions and preferably somewhere that inspires you.
3. Take breaks: I get easily distracted by housework when I work from home. So instead of reading a blog or going on Facebook for a quick work break I do something around the house like empty the dishwasher or switch over the laundry. Then when I sit back down at my computer I stay focused on work until my next break.
4. Take advantage: Don’t forget to indulge in the benefits of being able to work from home! Make yourself a delicious lunch you wouldn’t normally bring to the office, blast your music, or work outside on a nice day.
5. Get out of the house: Sometimes after a day in the office all you want to do is go home and sit on the couch. But after a day of working at home all I want to do is get out of the house. Plan a dinner out with friends or a trip to the mall for after work on the days you’re home.
3 thoughts on “Tips for working at home”
Love this tips! Definitely so hard to not get too comfortable and relax when working from home. Especially love tip #4!
LikeLiked by 1 person
All great tips! I am bad at #1, but #3 and #4 are on both things I do regularly. I always do laundry on my work from home days!
LikeLiked by 1 person
Nice! I wrote a post very similar to this a couple of months back because I kept getting the question of how I stay focused! Totally agree with your designated space idea. And I am the WORST at actually getting ready, though I’m certain it would help a ton. Thanks for sharing! :)